We had these raw, fresh, utterly delicious vegetable spring rolls with spicy peanut dipping sauce for dinner tonight. I know it's meant as an appetizer, but we pigged out and ate 4 rolls each. As appetizers, this recipe serves 4.
Though based on the recipe found on p44 of Vegan Planet, with the dipping sauce on p160 of the same, most of the fresh ingredients found inside these suckers are different. (I highly recommend this book, as also her blog by the same name.)
Here's what I used to make them:
- 8 sheets of rice paper (round)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- small bunch baby bok choy
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup sprouts (I used a mixture of alfalfa, canola, clover and daikon radish sprouts, but bean sprouts are more commonly used)
- 3.5 oz. enoki mushrooms
- Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce (from Vegan Planet, p160)
- Prepare filling.
- Dip each sheet of rice paper in warm water for a few seconds to soften. Place on plastic wrap or, as I did, directly on a plate. I prefer to put the filling in the middle of the wrapper, beginning with the baby bok choy, followed by the mushrooms, sprouts, carrots and cilantro. Fold ends over first, as with a burrito, then fold bottom edge over filling and roll up snuggly.
- Enjoy with the dipping sauce.